June 9, 2010

Best Buddies Hyannis Port Challenge Weekend


Each time I update my blog it gets harder & harder because I keep wanting to start off every post with this has been my favorite event yet haha :)  But it is so true, my year just keeps getting better and better and different people and events are inspiring me every single day!  This past weekend truly was one of the best weekends I have had as Miss Massachusetts as I packed my bags and checked into the gorgeous Seaport Hotel for the annual Best Buddies Hyannis Port Challenge weekend!
  Best Buddies is one of my favorite organizations to work with for many reason!  One the staff and the people that put on these events could not be more kind or passionate about what they do!  Their passion for the job and these children is contagious and it's impossible to not have a great time when you are around these amazing people!  Second, these children that we get to spend time with are some of the most loving, cheerful people I have ever met and they truly love life!  I have never been given so many hugs and asked to dance so many times as I was this past weekend with these awesome kids :)

Friday night after my roomie Nydelis, Miss Vermont, and I checked in we headed over to Harvard for the big kickoff event, a flag football game with Tom Brady and Rima, Miss USA!  It was sooo fun to catch up with Rima!  Massachusetts & Michigan are next to each other in the alphabet so I was lucky enough to spend lots of time with Rima at Miss USA and really get to know her well.  Not only is she beautiful but she is sooo kind and a blast to be around!  She is going to make you guys so proud as Miss USA because she has such a wonderful heart and a great work ethic and energy, which we all know you need with the demanding schedule as Miss USA!  After the football game we headed into a beautiful gala where we had a wonderful dinner with famed FoodNetwork Chef Guy Fieri, Tom Brady and a bunch of other wonderful celeb guests!  We ate, danced and had a blast!


 Saturday we woke up bright and early to head to Hyannis Port!  Unfortunately Nydelis and I were scheduled to do the 5K but it got rained out because of a really bad storm that morning, but there was plenty for us to do instead!  We played with our buddies, learned to ride Tandem bikes and did friendship races with all the kids!  We waited at the finishline to cheer on our awesome teens who participated in the bike ride!  So proud of Brooke, Shelby, Morgan and Norissa!  After the long day of biking and spending time with our buddies we headed into another gorgeous gala!  There was a lobster feast waiting for us and plenty of dancing with entertainment by KC and the Sunshine Band.
  After a wonderful event it was back to our hotel to relax and enjoy some time together!  Nydelis, Norissa and I ordered up some yummy room service, kicked back and talked about what a fabulous weekend it was!  Best Buddies is a first class organization who care about nothing more than the happiness of these wonderful children!  I was so honored to be apart of such a great event and meet some fabulous people!  I am now working on planning my own Best Buddies fundraising event, involving the Pawtucket Red Sox, so I will keep everyone posted on details for that!