April 25, 2010

Harvard

  One of my absolute favorite things about Boston is that we have more colleges and universities here in our city than any other city in the entire country!  There are such amazing schools here in Boston that attract students from all over the world. Visiting colleges, is one of my favorite hobbies!  I find it so fun seeing different campuses and where different students get their educations.
  Recently I have spent quite a lot of time at Harvard, one of the most prestigious and beautiful schools in the country!  My first trip to Harvard was a few weeks ago for the WeCan conference, or the Women's Empowerment Conference.  It was such a great day!  I had been asked to put together an hour long workshop for all of the attendees discussing my journey to Miss USA and how I never gave up on my dream.  I also went over interview techniques and tips that I have learned throughout my Miss USA prep.  I was so humbled and overwhelmed by how warm and welcoming all of the amazing women were to me.  The attendees included Harvard grad students, professors and numerous successful young business women, many who had started their own charities and companies.  I couldn't believe they wanted to hear me talk!  I was so surprised and excited when I got there and found out I was also receiving an award from the school for my work as Miss Massachusetts and my work throughout my state.  My mom had flown in for the big day so it made it that much more special.

  While there I had the opportunity to meet an amazing new friend named Jenn.  Jenn is a student at Harvard and is very passionate about her work with the Special Needs Community.  Jenn shared with me a story of her brother who she is very close to and who had inspired her charity work.   I was extremely touched by her story and told her I wanted to help out in anyway I could! She took me up on the offer and explained to me how her goal was to get more Harvard students involved with the work she does.  I have done a lot of work with both Best Buddies and the Special Olympics and told her I'd be happy to come speak to some of the students about my experience and why I have found it so incredibly worthwhile.  The following week I spoke to the students at one of Jenn's Business school classes and they were all so receptive and warm!  I even met a fellow USC Trojan who was attending Harvard for Grad school.  It was a great day and Jenn and I were so happy to spread the word about these wonderful charities.
  Everyone at Harvard has been so welcoming and they even allowed me to take a public speaking course there last week!  It was one of the best classes I have ever taken and I can't wait to take more classes this summer!